Thursday, January 22, 2009

Asceticism

Asceticism and simplicity has been in my thoughts lately due to recent developments in my life. It was something that I had thought a lot about when I was younger. I used to read a lot of pseudo philosophy and spirituality books like Siddhartha, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, and Carlos Castaneda Books.

A common theme with all of these books is the notion of "needs" vs. "wants". What is it that a person really "needs" in life? It is really not much. Yet so many people are driven by the illusion that many of the things that they want in life are actually necessities. Once somebody has turned a want into a need, they can't be content without it. Somebody who is grounded in the simple needs of life will instead feel like everything beyond simple necessity is a bonus and be grateful.

I've been thinking about asceticism a lot lately because often the only way to get in touch with necessity is to practice simplicity. Even in the smallest form I think this is a rewarding and satisfying thing to do. Think about what you are eating, how you are living, and what it is that makes you happy.

Time to go for a hike.

No comments: